* * SUWANNEE BANJO CAMP HAS MOVED ONLINE FOR 2022* *
Dates for Online Camp:
Saturday – Sunday MARCH 12-13, 2022
SBC 2022 Online Is Open for Registration;
Sign Up Now!!
Just Out: the SBC 2022 Online Program Schedule
Come study 5-string banjo online with some of today’s best players and teachers. Our program features hands-on classes, faculty led jams, and a big faculty concert. Suwannee Banjo Camp online 2022 offers three levels of serious instruction in clawhammer and bluegrass banjo styles. We also offer full-time programs in old-time fiddle, bluegrass guitar and – just recently added – bluegrass mandolin.
Note: Clawhammer and old-time fingerpicking together are often referred to as old-time banjo.
Suwannee Banjo Camp online runs from Saturday morning through Sunday evening. We offer eight class sessions — four each on Saturday and Sunday. Each session is one hour long followed by a fifteen minute Q&A period. There is a staff concert on both Sunday evening that offers you the opportunity to hear our entire staff in concert. Rounding out the program are staff-led bluegrass and old-time jams conducted at a variety of skill levels. For a full description of our program including classes, demonstrations, concerts, jams and other activities, see the Program menu item. For an overview, start with the About Our Program page.
Here Is Our Schedule for SBC Online 2022
Click to Access & Download a High Res Version of our 2019 Camp Photo, Suitable for Printing
2019 Camp Photo
Attendance Options: Full Camp vs. Single-Day Options
FULL CAMP. The Full Camp option gives you access to all classes and handouts; and all other scheduled activities on both days. After the conclusion of SBC, you will also have access to videos of all classes (for more info on class videos, see below).
SINGLE DAY – SATURDAY. The Single Day – Saturday option gives you access to all classes and handouts on Saturday, plus all other scheduled activities on that day. After the conclusion of SBC, you will also have access to videos of all Saturday classes (for more info on class videos, see below).
SINGLE DAY – SUNDAY. The Full Camp option gives you access to all classes and handouts on Sunday, and all other scheduled activities on that day. After the conclusion of SBC, you will also have access to videos of all Sunday classes (for more info on class videos, see below).
Rates for Full-Camp and Single-Day Options are on the Registration & Fees page.
For descriptions of our old-time and bluegrass banjo programs, go to Classes, and then choose either the Old-Time Banjo tab or the Bluegrass Banjo tab.
Full-Time Fiddle, Guitar & Mandolin Tracks
For more information on our full-time programs in fiddle, guitar and mandolin, go to Classes, and then choose either the Fiddle Track tab, the Guitar Track tab, or the Mandolin Track tab.
Starting and Ending Times (Note: All Stated Times are Eastern US Time)
- Classes begin on both Saturday and Sunday at 10 AM, Eastern time
- Last class each day ends at 4:45 Eastern
- Faculty-Led Jams run on Saturday from 5:30-6:30 PM, Eastern
- The Faculty Concert runs on Sunday from 6:00-8:30 PM Eastern
How We’ll Do It
Handouts & Videos
- Handouts. You will be able to access handouts online in .pdf form, and download them if you so desire (note: some instructors prefer to teach entirely by ear and do not offer handouts)
- Videos. Video recordings will be made of each class and made available for viewing within a few days following the conclusion of the event; you’ll have access to these videos for c. two months. We are still working on details re the best way to make these videos available.
Call for Volunteer “Techs” to Host the Class Sessions
Quite a number of generous students have contributed to this year’s scholarship fund, so we are in a position to offer several partial scholarships. We would like to particularly encourage music students under 25 to apply. For more information or to apply, visit our Scholarships page.
Our 2022 Faculty
Note: The entire faculty for our in-person camp has agreed to teach for us online.
- Old-Time Banjo: Paul Brown, Adam Hurt, Terri McMurray, Michael Miles, Ken Perlman and Maggie Shar
- Bluegrass Banjo: Scott Anderson, Greg Cahill, Janet Davis, Gabe Hirshfeld, James McKinney, and Alan Munde
- Fiddle: Pete Vigour (principal instructor); classes will also be taught by Paul Brown and Ellen Vigour
- Guitar: Jim Hurst (principal instructor);
- Mandolin: Mike Compton (principal instructor)
- Guest Faculty: Ellen Vigour
Photos and bios of our staff are posted on the 2021 Instructors page.
This Was Our T-Shirt (and Tote Bag) Design for 2020
This was our cool 2020 design: a photo capturing the beautiful lake (at our usual venue, Cerveny Conference Center) at Sunrise, framed by – what else! – a 5-string banjo rim.